- 3 cups sweetened, shredded coconut
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- For deeper coconut flavor and extra-crispy macaroons, spread the coconut on the baking sheet and toast for about 5 minutes, or until just barely starting to show some color. Let cool slightly before using.
- Combine the egg whites, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk until the whites and sugar are completely combined and the mixture is frothy.
- Pour the coconut over the egg white mixture and stir until the coconut is evenly moistened.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment. With wet hands to prevent sticking, shape the coconut mixture into small balls about 1 1/2-inches in diameter. Space them an inch or so apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake the macaroons until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let the macaroons cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Macaroons can be kept in an airtight container for up to a week.
For a nice combination, add blackberry jelly. Before baking, make indentation in the tops with your thumb and put in a small amount of jelly.