- 1 1/4 pounds ground pork
- 1 lb firm tofu, cubed (approximate amount)
- Minced hot chili peppers to taste
- 3 small zucchini, cubed
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Handful sliced scallions
- Freshly chopped cilantro (optional)
- 3 tablespoons Korean chili paste
- 1/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar (if using regular rice vinegar)
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
Put the cubed zucchini and the kosher salt in a bowl and toss. Let sit for 15 minutes to draw out the water, and then strain. Taste for seasoning; if too salty, rinse.
Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
Brown the ground pork over high heat in a non-oiled pan. Break into as small as sized chunks as possible.
Add the minced peppers and most of the scallions and cook for another minute, continuing to break up the clumps of meat.
Reduce heat to medium and stir in the sauce. Let reduce for a few minutes.
Add the cubed tofu and zucchini and stir carefully to mix in, allowing to cook until the zucchini is tender.
Turn off the heat and mix in the cilantro (optional). Taste for seasoning.
Serve and garnish with the remaining scallions.
Cubing the zucchini:
- Cut off the ends
- Cut in half length-wise
- Lay the halves flat and cut into thirds
- Cut across the short axis