- 1 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 5 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread flour onto a clean surface and swish to cover the area.
- Roll out dough onto the floured surface, 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into shapes with a cookie cutter and place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Either sprinkle sugar on the cookies or frost the cookies.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Let sit one minute on the pan, then cool completely on a wire rack.